Pages

Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Focus Shift Game plan: I Don't "Have To", I "Get To".

This week's post is a little different than normal. Usually I'll give you steps or tips for a certain topic to encourage you or help you with your walk with Christ or with your family. But today I want to share my heart with you, because I know some of you may be going through what God has shown me this week.

In every facet of life but in ministry especially, there comes a point where you just don't feel like continuing. It all starts out in the beginning as a passion of yours, and you pour out your heart and soul to put out the best product that you possibly can. All the blood, sweat and tears comes together into something that you can be truly proud of, and you feel great about it. This can be your job, your family, your relationship, etc. But then things start to happen. You may experience some resistance from other people, or you just get so comfortable that you may stop doing the things that made you successful in the first place. So it gets to a point where you no longer "get to" do all the things that you used to love. Those things become "have to's ". I don't "get to" play with my kids, provide for my family, love my spouse, go to Sunday school, or read my Bible. I now "have to" do all of these things. So, what is the solution to this? How do we get out of this rut? The answer can be found in the bible, and it's a shift in our focus.

Philippians 2:14-18 says " Do everything without grumbling or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, “children of God without fault in a warped and crooked generation.”[a] Then you will shine among them like stars in the sky  as you hold firmly to the word of life. And then I will be able to boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor in vain.  But even if I am being poured out like a drink offering on the sacrifice and service coming from your faith, I am glad and rejoice with all of you.  So you too should be glad and rejoice with me." I believe that this text is extremely applicable today in our lives. Paul, the author of this text, had the best perspective in the world. All of the suffering he was experiencing was for the betterment of the gospel. He didn't "have to" share the gospel, he "got to."

Be thankful that you have kids to play with at night, a family to provide for, a spouse to love, a Sunday school to attend, and a Bible to read. Get back to the same passion you had before, and work wholeheartedly as if the Father in heaven is watching your every move, because he definitely is. The work we do, as long as we do it for the Lord, is not in vain. Remember that this week when you are exhausted to the point of wanting to quit because you have so many have to's, and start focusing on how you "get to." God bless you all, and see you next time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment