Pages

Thursday, August 13, 2015

3 Things in Life Christians Should Never Take Chances With

Life is full of ups and downs, certainty and uncertainty, and encouragements and disappointments. Along the road we tend to take chances on a few things, some of which we really should've put a bit more thought in to before making the decision that we made. It's true that we must take chances on some things in life, but we need to be careful what we actually gamble on.

1) Dating
From my own personal experience, I remember in high school I had no particular reason to date a certain girl. The only requirement I had for a girl to date me was to be pretty. Looking back I see now that this was extremely shallow of me. If I could go back and tell my former self some things about dating, I would tell myself to date with a purpose in mind, which is to get married. Now I probably just made some of you parents nervous, and you may be thinking that you don't want your child thinking about marriage in high school, but hear me out. I could've saved myself so much heartache and pain if I would have dated with a purpose of finding the woman I want to spend the rest of my life with. I would've asked the hard questions sooner. If I would have known exactly what I was looking for, I wouldn't have wasted my time as much as I did either. The Bible tells us what a godly woman looks like in proverbs. If I would have dated with that purpose in mind, I would have never settled for anything less. So don't take a chance when it comes to finding your future husband or wife.

2) Your Children
I'm not talking about letting them ride in the car without a seat belt, although you shouldn't take a chance with that either. I'm talking about your children's spiritual journey. Many people make the mistake of allowing a majority of their kids discipleship to take place in church. Discipleship in the church is a great thing, but the parents should be doing the majority of this. You are your child's very first role model, and the first people they look to for guidance. Their walk with Christ is the single most important thing in their lives, so why do we take the chance of  letting other people take the lead on this? Don't gamble away the chance to disciple your kids.

3) Your Friends and Family
I believe that we often assume that our friends and family have put their faith and trust in Jesus because they go to church. This is a HUGE gamble. This is putting someone's eternity on a guess. This is something that we need to be sure of. After all, these people are the most important people in our lives, the ones that we do life with every single day. We need to have those hard conversations with them, and be sure that they know Jesus as their personal Lord and Savior.

These gambles are scary and dangerous, but they're all avoidable and correctable. I pray this week that each of us grow closer daily to Jesus, and that other people see His love and grace through us. God bless you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment